Wednesday, April 16, 2008

10. Searching the Scriptures

A bishopric message written on Thursday afternoon, January 29, 1987, and published in the February 1987 issue of the Bountiful Twentieth Ward Newsette. This would be my final message as a counselor in the bishopric. In March 1987, after having served as Bishop Delbert H. Strasser’s second counselor for only twenty months, I was called by President F. Michael Watson to serve as a high councilor in the Bountiful Utah South Stake.

The Savior, during His earthly ministry, taught us the importance of studying the scriptures. He said, “Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me” (John 5:39).

On other occasions He taught similarly. To the Nephites He said, “Behold they [the scriptures] are written, ye have them before you, therefore search them” (3 Nephi 20:11).

In our own day He has said, “Search these commandments, for they are true and faithful, and the prophecies and promises which are in them shall all be fulfilled” (D&C 1:37).

Apparently the Lord is serious about our searching the scriptures. Why? So that we might come to know Him better. So that through Him we might have eternal life.

The Apostle John wrote that “these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name” (John 20:31).

We know that the Book of Mormon was written for the express purpose of convincing people in our day that “Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations” (Book of Mormon title page).

President Ezra Taft Benson has repeatedly counseled us to make a daily study of the Book of Mormon a lifetime pursuit. From his seeric vantage point, he can see the blessings that will come to us as individuals, as families, and as a people if we make the Book of Mormon a thorough and complete part of our daily lives.

In addition to our daily reading in the Book of Mormon, we have this year the great opportunity of studying the New Testament as the adult curriculum in Sunday School. We have sensed an excitement among ward members as we have begun anew the study of the four gospels. We also deeply appreciate the faithful efforts of our two Gospel Doctrine teachers— Eugene Hamilton and Jody Pratt—who are helping to engender this excitement. Their efforts in their classes each Sunday and their marvelous sermons in sacrament meeting on January 11 are helping to promote the kind of love affair we hope each of you will come to have with the holy scriptures.

As I search the holy scriptures,
Loving Father of mankind,
May my heart be blessed with wisdom,
And may knowledge fill my mind.

As I search the holy scriptures,
Touch my spirit, Lord, I pray.
May life's myst'ries be unfolded
As I study day by day.

As I search the holy scriptures,
May thy mercy be revealed.
Soothe my troubled heart and spirit;
May my unseen wounds be healed.

As I search the holy scriptures,
Help me ponder and obey.
In thy word is life eternal;
May thy light show me the way.
(C. Marianne Johnson Fisher, Hymns [1985], 277)

Such is our earnest wish for each of you.

No comments: