Friday, April 18, 2008

22. Bishopric Changes

A bishopric message in the September 1998 issue of the Bountiful Twentieth Ward Newsette, which was also published as “A Final Word” in the August 31, 1998, issue of the Family Journal. Larry Young had been released as my first counselor in the bishopric to be sustained as ward mission leader. Kevin Thueson was moved from second to first counselor, and Hyde Frederickson was called as the new second counselor.

Words do not begin to express the love and appreciation I feel for Larry Young, who two weeks ago was released as first counselor in the bishopric to serve as our new ward mission leader. He has been a capable and faithful servant of God. He has ably served the Lord and each of you. I am confident that he and Iris will do well as stake missionaries.

The inspiration behind Larry’s new call came clearly, obviously by surprise, and in a manner reminiscent of the calls to Barnabas and Saul described in the second verse of the 13th chapter of Acts. I relied heavily on Larry in my administration of the ward, and I suspect the Lord had to intervene so directly to overcome my natural reluctance to give up my right arm, as it were.

I am grateful for Kevin Thueson’s willingness to continue his service in the bishopric, serving now as the new first counselor. Kevin is an uncommonly sensible person, sound in his counsel and judgment, devoted to your welfare. He is a faithful warrior, something like a Captain Moroni, who “was a strong and mighty man; . . . a man whose soul did joy in the liberty and freedom of his country; . . . a man who did labor exceedingly for the welfare and safety of his people; . . . a man who was firm in the faith of Christ” (Alma 48:11–13).

And I am thankful that the Lord has called Hyde Frederickson to serve as the new second counselor in the bishopric. I look forward to working with him.

Larry and Iris replace Clyde and Carol StClair, who for the past three years have served with distinction as stake missionaries. The StClairs have patiently, quietly, and effectively gone about proclaiming the gospel and in marvelous ways have touched hearts, blessed lives, and brought souls unto Christ. They are rightly regarded by some as though they were “like unto angels of God” (D&C 42:6).

The gratitude and affection I have expressed concerning these few people is the same I feel for all of you who seek in your respective assignments to magnify your callings and bless the lives of those about you.

My earnest prayer is that each of us may live to merit the Divine approbation, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant” (Matthew 25:21).

No comments: