Wednesday, April 23, 2008

37. With the Hinckleys in Recife

An account from my missionary journal of a missionary zone conference and a member district conference in Recife, Brazil, with Elder and Sister Gordon B. Hinckley and President and Sister Hal R. Johnson on Thursday, September 10, 1970. I was serving at the time as branch president and district leader in Maceió, a city about four to four and a half hours south of Recife.

Elder Gordon B. Hinckley of the Council of the Twelve met with us all afternoon in a regional [multi-zone] missionary conference and this evening with the members in a special district conference. Sister Hinckley and President and Sister Johnson also participated.

In the regional conference, by some twist of fate, probably President Johnson’s twisting, I was the only missionary participant, sharing the program with Sisters Hinckley and Johnson and President Johnson and Brother Hinckley, who spoke in that order. I was first on the program, discussing for a few moments priesthood stewardships and the blessing powers of the priesthood. Our conference started somewhat after 12:00.

Sister Hinckley’s talk really impressed me. She spoke of the modern-day miracles she has been seeing, including the growth of the Church and the members thereof. Last Sunday, she related, she saw the third stake in São Paulo being organized. South America holds a special spot in her heart. She compared the work here to the construction of a great building. Sometimes an elder may feel he has done nothing on his mission, but hundreds before have felt the same. In reality, they have all placed their bricks into the edifice, and the kingdom grows.

During President Johnson’s talk I had a brief but wonderful interview with Brother Hinckley. Knowing I was branch president, he asked me a little about Maceió, both the city and the branch. We talked about Elder Dana Blackham briefly. He asked me what I most admired in him. I had to think on that one, not that I could not think of anything, but that I had to choose one trait of many that I admire. I answered, “His ability to love others.”

Brother Hinckley asked, “Don’t you love people?”

I responded, “I certainly try.”

He rejoined, “But your companion does a better job?”

He told me he had recently been to stake conference in Nampa. When I asked how they were doing, he replied, “They miss you, Elder.”

We also spoke of my schooling plans, and I learned that Brother Hinckley once had been an English major also.

Elder Blackham was interviewed right after me. He was asked about his companion too. This evening Elder Blackham shared with me what he said to the Apostle: “I love him for his ability to stay close to the Lord.”

The highlight of the afternoon was when Brother Hinckley held a question–answer session and spoke to us. That was a marvelous experience. Once again the Spirit bore witness that here was an Apostle of the Almighty God. I was so impressed by so many things he said that I cannot even write them all here.

He taught us that there was no shame in saying, “I don’t know,” if we did not know something. He said that to him the gospel is becoming simpler and more beautiful and his faith likewise simpler. To me that was profound. He told us to stick to the scriptures and not worry too much about reading everything else that comes off the presses.

Someone asked him about the Second Comforter. His response was that we have our hands full trying to keep the constant companionship of the First Comforter. Worry about that first.

His comments on the draft situation make me look pretty good as far as being able to finish my education without interruption. He spoke also about adultery and fornication by way of inspired warning. He said he did not always speak of that subject, as if inspired to do so on this occasion. And then he bore his apostolic witness to the divine mission of the Savior and the truthfulness of the restoration of the gospel.

This evening’s district conference was an added spiritual feast. We had Maceió all sitting together on the front three rows.

As great as were the talks of President and Sister Johnson and Sister Hinckley, and all of them were, the highlight once again was Brother Hinckley’s remarks. The beauty of his lessons came from their simplicity.

He took a flower from a bouquet on a nearby table and compared it to a member of the Church, beautiful today but tomorrow dry and withered because it had been cut from its stem. Inactivity because of misunderstanding, harsh words, personal weakness leaves us cut off from the Church, and we die spiritually.

He spoke about the word recife, which means reef, since he was in Recife, comparing it to the Church as it protects our lives and gives them peace and calm.

Brother Hinckley has a fantastic sense of humor. Elder Coleman of the district presidency did a super job of translating for him.

No comments: