Friday, April 18, 2008

24. That Ye May Not Remember Your Guilt

A bishopric message published in the February 1999 issue of the Bountiful Twentieth Ward Newsette. On February 28, 1999, Kevin Thueson was released as my first counselor. Hyde Frederickson moved from second to first counselor, and Lionel Farr became the new second counselor.

A few weeks ago I had to go to LDS Hospital to have my esophagus dilated. I have had the procedure done a few other times over the years and was not looking forward to the unpleasant experience. Although partially sedated, I could not be put all the way out because I had to cooperate with the doctors during the procedure by swallowing the tube they stuck down my throat.

This time, however, they used a new type of sedative that actually made me forget the whole experience. Although I was apparently awake for the entire procedure, I remember absolutely nothing from when the medication went into my arm until I was being walked back to the recovery area. Pretty nice.

It occurred to me that there is one type of pain that is even more excruciating than physical pain and that is the pain that results from sin. Wouldn’t it be nice if there were some way to induce amnesia to forget that type of misery? Fortunately, there is. It’s called repentance.

Notice what Nephi says about not remembering our sin at the day of judgment: “Prepare your souls for that glorious day when justice shall be administered unto the righteous, even the day of judgment, that ye may not shrink with awful fear; that ye may not remember your awful guilt in perfectness” (2 Nephi 9:46).

The only way that happens is to repent of our sins before that great and dreadful day. That’s the only way to prepare our souls so that it will be a glorious day. Otherwise, we will remember our guilt most exquisitely.

If we do repent, however, the Lord promises that even He Who knows all things past, present, and future will forget our transgression: “Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more” (D&C 58:42). The choice is ours.

No comments: